Sunday, January 6, 2013

You Can Be Fat And Fit

This op-ed piece I read early in the week on CNN was a bit of an eye-opener.  To be honest, I didn't know there were so many studies out there actually looking at morbidity rates of fat people, both fit and unfit.  Go ahead, go on over and read it, and I'll wait for you.  Go ahead.

So, when you read that second-to-last paragraph, did you get down on the floor and try to get up without grabbing onto something? 

Honestly, I don't know too many people over the age of 25 that can do that.  I'm over 50, and there's no way my knees would let me do that, but it did make me think a bit...how much more fit do I need to be before I can get up with minimal help? I think this will be my new goal.  After my rehab, of course, because right now I'm doing good just to be able to stand up from the toilet with my bad leg and an arm on the side of the sink. 

It is nice to see that researchers and doctors are looking at fat people as more than walking dead people.  I know I will not die young (too late for that), and I am metabolically healthy.  By the numbers, I'm just like anyone else who eats right and stays reasonably active.  I could do more in the active department, but when it comes to eating, I eat better than most people I know.   My cholesterol and blood sugar numbers are on target, my bp is normal for a person my size and age, and I have no heart problems.  Why would I have any higher risk of anything (except maybe bad knees) than a thin person?  In fact, just being thin isn't enough to be healthy; plenty of thin people have high cholesterol, or pre diabetes or heart issues.  It isn't about being thin.  It's about being healthy.

Now, I hear a nice big salad calling my name.  It's one of my favorite indulgences!

No comments:

Post a Comment