Sunday, January 13, 2013

Will I Ever Bike Again?

It has been two weeks to the day since my fall and serious break.  This past Friday I got a new, smaller cast after they removed the surgical cast, bandaging, and staples.  I'm healing well.

That being said, it will still be a long time before I'm walking, or biking.  I miss biking the most, but I'd settle for being able to walk to the bathroom without the walker, or being able to go upstairs and take a shower, or go downstairs to do some laundry or poke around in the freezer or work in my office. 

But the doctor said I'd walk again, and ride a bike again, as long as I do what they tell me to do.  This means no walking on the bad leg (not that I could, that would hurt WAY too much), getting plenty of rest, keeping the foot up until the swelling goes down, and coming back for a replacement cast in about 10 days, at which time they will re-assess my fracture blisters.

It will be a little more than a month before I'm free of the cast for good, if everything goes well.  After that, it will be therapy and therapy and therapy. 

I feel like such a lump.  I'm eating as good as I can, but getting way too many calories for being a sit-around Fat Girl.  I'm trying to increase my calcium intake, and protein intake, and keep the carbs as low as possible.  But I won't be surprised to find at the end of my convalescence that I've gained 10 or 15 pounds.  Considering I was already down about 15 pounds since August, this is a disgusting thought.

Not that I can do anything about it, really.  Starving myself won't help my bones, and won't help my healing.  And I'll lose the weight once I'm active again. 

What's the worst?  I never got to use my wonderful Christmas presents - my compression pants, the ding-ding bell for my bike, and the bike bar adapter that will work with my car's bike rack.  They are all sitting in the garage waiting for me.  It's going to be a pretty long wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment