Monday, December 10, 2012

And The Wind Blew

Last Wednesday I took off work to enjoy one of the last days of warmth.  My intent was to get a decent bike ride in, since biking this weekend was going to be out of the question in sub-freezing temperatures.  I got a few things done around the house, then headed out, my bike packed in the trunk for the short trip to the local greenway.

There was a bit of a breeze, but my naive mind said, "eh, no biggie," and I pulled the bike out, put on my helmet, and started off.  I was heading west, toward the mountains, which is where all our wind comes from.

It was soon evident that the wind WAS a biggie, and I, not being all that aerodynamic in shape, was going to fight this all the way to my usual destination.  But I kept telling myself to push through it.  Places where I'd normally get out of third gear and up to at least fifth gear, I was still in third, and a few times I was even down in second.  About three miles into the ride, as I was riding past the wood processing place and the quarry, the wind was kicking up dust and grit.  At three and a half miles, where the trail opens up onto a long, flat run, the wind was so strong that it almost threw me off my bike. 

That was the end of that. 

I turned around and rode in 7th gear all the way back to the car, the wind making a great riding companion at that point.

The worst part was how disappointed I felt.  I'm a strong girl, I know I am.  I should have been able to ride that day, despite the wind, right?  Excuses are for wimps, and I'm not a wimp.  No one who knows me would call  me a wimp.  But this wind.  It took everything out of me, and I had to stop.  It was only later I realized the wind was 20 mph with gusts to 30.  No wonder I couldn't ride against it.

The acuteness of the disappointment still sits with me, though.  Even after the windburn on my cheeks is gone, and days have passed, I still feel so disappointed in myself for not making it.  And it doesn't help that I can't see riding in the foreseeable future due to weather.  This morning it is 6 degrees, and the next range of forecast shows more of the same.  It is going to be a long, cold winter for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment